Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Deck the Door

Christmas is my favorite time of the year.  When I was a kid I loved driving to my godparents' house (about 10 miles from our house) and seeing all the houses lit up with twinkling lights.  My mom always did up the house crazy style.  She had a whole collection of houses that she would arrange with a manger and baby Jesus, Mary and Joseph.  And she would always get a new house every year at JoAnn when they'd clearance them out at the end of the season.  It seriously took up 3 or 4 tables.  She stated giving away her houses the last few years she was sick.  She didn't want to leave too many behind, i guess.  She also made wreaths to sell and give as gifts.  She was truly a talented lady. 

This year seems a bit blah for me.  Maybe it's because she's gone.  I didn't really want to put any decorations up, but Annika has been asking since November 15 when we can put our tree up.  I don't want to jade the girls' Christmas just because I'm not in the spirit.  So we put up the tree the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  We put up a few other decorations here and there -- the garland and stocking on the mantel, the garland on the stairs.  Another thing I wanted to attempt was an ornament wreath.  They are all over Pinterest right now.  And now mine will be there too.  I pretty much followed the tutorial i found here.  And here is the finished product!


Doesn't it look amazing!  It really looks great when you drive down the street.  The only think I might change is the bow to something more like the one in the link.  I think I'm going to put a few lights outside this year, too.  I know the girls will love that.  The Hubby is coming home this weekend, so I'm sure he'll love to help with that project. LOL!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Maribel, where do you find the directions to make something like this?

Maribel said...

Hey, there. I found the ones I used at Home Depot. They have a box of 100 for $19.99 I've also seen a box of 50 at Target for $15. Good luck!

Amanda said...

Really? Like a kit? Wow, that's cool, I'll have to try that!

Maribel said...

No, not really a kit. But all you need for this project is the following:

1 wire coat hanger
50-80 shatter-proof ornamets
a hot glue gun

I meant that the ornaments come in a box of 50 or 100.

If you want me to make one for you, I'd be glad to. Just let me know.

Amanda said...

Hm, maybe I'll try to do it. I'm not a crafty person but I'd feel pretty accomplished if I pulled it off! Maybe I'll stop tonight for the stuff.

@JessEsco said...

Looks beautiful. Don't feel bad that you don't feel it. Just let them enjoy and eventually it'll come back. love you.